Friday, January 22, 2010

Dinner...Day FIVE



Tonight I got to make my favourite dish (of which now I am getting quite adept at making), Polenta Casserole with Seitan. I don't know if A.Silverstone came up with this one herself, or whether she poached it from someone else...but it doesn't matter, as this meal is sooo good!

S was very excited to learn that he'd be eating this dish also, as quote: "I could be a vegetarian permanently just to eat this meal..."

Yep, there you have it. Quoted. Perhaps this is the start of him realising that vegan food can, indeed, be super-delicious! As it was a relatively hot and muggy night in Melbourne, I decided to skip the Creamy Pumpkin Soup and substitute it for a rocket salad instead.

To finish off the meal, we had Strawberry Kanten (page 281). I had never heard of this dessert before, and to be honest had always assumed that anything 'jelly-like' would require gelatin, and obviously gelatin is an absolute no-no in vegan cuisine.

To my surprise I learned that there is yet another magical Japanese food called 'agar agar' which is again a sea-vegetable that acts like a vegetarian gelatin. The dessert literally was just fresh organic apple juice, organic strawberries (I should mention that all the foods I cook are only cooked with organic ingredients), ginger juice, agar agar and some sea salt. Super-easy, super-quick, and super-delicious.

Particularly refreshing on a hot summer's night!

Oh, and S took nearly the whole of the remaining dessert to work today....!

1 comment:

  1. The dishes look amazing Jess and must take a lot of effort to prepare.

    ReplyDelete

Animals Australia