Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is this amazing creation you ask??




Yep, again it's mochi!

Mochi Waffles Drizzled with Lemon-Walnut-Rice Syrup (page 286).

I really can't say in words how truly delicious this breakfast meal is...very decadent! I am so lost for descriptive words that I've decided instead to post the recipe for you (straight from the book)...because if you haven't got a copy of The Kind Diet book, then at least poach this recipe off me because I guarantee it's a breakfast meal you will LOVE!


Need:
1 cup walnuts
1-2 packages of plain mochi (buy this from any Japanese grocery store. I used 3 of the mochi blocks and cut them into thin slices).
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (Pure Harvest do a really good one)
Juice of 1/2 lemon.

How?
Toast walnuts in a dry fry-pan over medium heat until just starting to turn golden and fragrant, about 5 mins, stirring often. Transfer to a bowel to cool, and chop coarsely.

Preheat a waffle iron (I used a sandwich-maker instead as don't own a waffle iron). Cut mochi into large pieces widthwise. Slice each piece into long finger-like pieces. Using 6-8 strips for each waffle, place the mochi strips on the hot, ungreased waffle iron and close the top. Cook until puffed and slightly crispy but not too hard and dry, about 3 minutes, or until waffle iron signals that it's done. Remove the waffle and place on a plate. Don't stack the waffles because they will stick together. Serve and eat waffles ASAP -they are best hot and crispy.

While the waffles cook, combine the rice syrup with 3 tablespoons of water, lemon juice, and toasted walnuts in a saucepan. Stir together over medium heat just until warmed. Pour over the waffles, and serve!

YUM!

1 comment:

  1. You have intrdduced me to mochi - now I have to try and source some in Scotland. If not, I guess theres always on-line ordering.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Animals Australia