Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dinner...Day ONE



I've had a quick look over other foodie blogs on this site, and I have NO IDEA how they get their food photos to look so enticing...mine have a fair way to go. Ok, so dinner was hard. Really hard. I've never had so many dishes on the go all at once. Oven, two fry pans, two saucepans, another saucepan waiting for space on the stove...needless to say the mess and the stress combined left the kitchen in a sorry state afterwards!

The menu: Quinoa with Basil and Pine Nuts, Hijiki-Tofu Croquettes (apparently we can't get hijiki imported here to Australia, so I just left that out and used some diced carrots instead), Scarlet Roasted Vegetables and Steamed Greens with Umeboshi Vinegar and black pepper.

The vegies were the best! Seriously would put my meat-roast-loving mum and her roast vegies to shame! I highly recommend this recipe to everyone -I think the lemon zest coupled with the dried apricots gives it that really different flavour. The tofu croquettes were a bit of a drama. I entrusted S to do the moulding of the dough and the adding them "gently" (a word he obviously didn't hear me say), into the frying oil. He kindof tossed them in in messy lumps, so naturally they came out at the end like, well, messy lumps. Oh well.

The great thing about this week's menu plan is that usually what you cook one day becomes the meals for the next day, thus S's lunchbox for work tomorrow. I think because eating in this vegan-macrobiotic way is quite time-consuming in terms of food prep etc, the idea is to make it last over a couple of days... I'm not too sure though how S will go eating that millet porridge for breakfast again tomorrow. Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Animals Australia